Saturday, August 30

Day Six: just the morning. Oops! Another change of plans....

Good grief!  Three to four foot waves!  From the wrong direction!

We were up by 6:30 this morning, and I think we didn't even consider not going, although the hardest part was leaving Chester who caught on right away that we were leaving again, and quietly moped in his gentlemanly way.

On the water by 9 am, we cruised right on down the canal with only a mild headwind.  The waves started getting mixed up as we neared the breakwater and there on the west beach were our friends, Kate Alvord and Stephanie Mills.  


We stopped and had a lovely reunion before bundling up and pushing off again into the surf.  The day was grey, grey and gloomy but we stayed on course right toward the McLain lighthouse.  

I was not quite prepared for the size of the seas beyond the breakwater.  I didn't freeze--Terry always has feared that I'd freeze in fear like the first time we kayaked together--but I gotta say, I was scared.  Libby and Terry kept encouraging me, but I secretly think they were a little stunned themselves.  Anyhow, what could we do?  Bouncing and rolling we very slowly made some headway along the McLain shoreline, with my cold hands frozen on the paddle.

Fiinally we could see a point way off in the distance through the mist.  McGunns Creek!  The Ekstroms!  lunch!  Yeay,  

More later.....


Yup, Pete and Carol Ekstrom fed us a number one premium lunch of hot homemade vegetable chili and egg salad sandwiches.  Carol laid out our beverage choices and I foolishly chose a beer, thinking I needed the nutrition.  By the end of lunch, when I anticipated looking out the window to calm and smooth seas, maybe a bit of sunshine, I was tired, but game.  Then I saw that if anything, the wind and waves had picked up, still against us,  and the day was still grey and gloomy.   The beer kicked in, and I put my foot down--I was not going back out there.

The Ekstroms, bless their hearts, brought us home, where we are now with Chester again, with a fire in the wood stove and our wet suits hung to dry.   We went only eight miles today, but it felt like twenty.  Tomorrow we plan to get back in the kayaks just west of the Calumet Waterworks Park by 8am, hoping to get to Eagle River by evening.  Let us know if you plan to join us.  482 6827

Here are some photos taken by Pete Ekstrom as we approached from McLains, off in the distance.


  
I know, those don't look like three-foot waves.  But they sure looked bigger from inside the boat!  

Onward!




No comments:

Post a Comment