Sunday, August 31

Day Six: the truth. From Terry.



Actually Sue Ellen's version is pretty accurate in all but one fact. When we turned out into the big lake into the big waves, I was was not stunned, I was exhilarated! It was true that the waves were pretty big - sometimes Libby disappeared when she was in a trough, but the trickiest part was that for the first half mile or so we had to paddle in a direction such that the waves and wind were coming pretty much at us from the side. After that we were able to turn so that they were coming more directly at us. This was much safer, but continued to take a lot of work to make any progress.

This brings up the touchy subject of having a minder with us. I don't really like someone watching over me and telling me what is or is not safe for me. But in my heart of hearts I know it's for the best and really appreciate everybody's efforts and concern - especially Evan & Libby. Which brings me to another realization, being on the down slope of our 60s Sue Ellen's and my bodies don't move quite like they used to. Sue Ellen and I are still paddling pretty well (if a bit slower), but embarking and disembarking in a surf presents a bit of a problem. 

In my memory (perhaps manufactured) when I first started kayaking in my 30s landing in a surf, the moment the bow touched the beach I would grab the spray skirt, gracefully pirouette out of the kayak and lift it above the surf, all in one fluid motion. This is what happens now: We approach the beach. The executive portion of my brain picks out the right spot and time. But then the reptilian portion starts screaming "NO WAY!" By time the executive portion reasserts control, we've already taken on one wave. Then, of course, at my age it takes a few moments for the message to get to the muscles and sinews and then another for them to really believe this is being asked of them and finally even more for them to limp into action. By this time we are thoroughly soaked. Fortunately given the beaches we're landing on this is more a matter of humiliation than safety.

Weather looks great today. Hope to get to Eagle River.

No comments:

Post a Comment